Having a slump at 3 p.m. and reaching for coffee or a sweet treat? Feeling more tired than usual lately? That can happen from lack of good sleep, physical exercise, poor nutrition, draining relationships and a demanding schedule. We hear you parents and business people. You need a boost, and not one that comes from your triple espresso. Here are some tips to increase your energy and stamina naturally!
Get Those B Vitamins In!
- Vitamin B-rich foods include dark green vegetables (e.g. kale, broccoli, collards, bok choy, spinach), protein from animal sources, and whole grains.
- Leafy greens are full of vitamins and nutrients and great for improving circulation, lifting the spirit, purifying the blood, and strengthening the immune system.
- There are 11 different B vitamins, each providing specific benefits. Vitamin B complex (combination of B Vitamins in a supplement form) contains B nutrients which: increase mood and memory, reduce heart-disease risk, decrease anxiety and stress, lift depression, all the while boosting your energy.
- Vitamin B12 is a common deficiency that might be zapping your energy. B12 is difficult to get from food sources, so supplementation may make sense. B12 helps support your red blood cells. It’s mainly found in animal and dairy products and fortified cereals. Especially if you are a vegan or a vegetarian, you may want take a supplement.
Drink LOTS of “Clean” Water
- Many of us are dehydrated. Before you go to sugar or caffeine at 3 p.m., have a glass of purified water and wait a few minutes to see what happens.
- If you feel thirsty, it’s too late! You are already dehydrated. All of our body functions rely on hydration to function properly. Drink consistently throughout the day and notice your energy levels increase.
- We always carry around our water bottles with lemon to detox and hydrate (And spare the environment from plastic bottle landfill!)
Eat Good Fats and Kick-start Your Digestion
- Omega 3’s aka. the “good fats” (EPA and DHA, primarily found in certain fish, and ALA, found in plant sources like seeds or nuts) lower levels of depression and improve mental functioning like thinking and learning just to name a few.
- We also suggest a daily probiotic supplement or probiotic rich foods like fermented foods, Kombucha tea or yogurts to get your digestion optimally flowing and releasing toxins. Don’t forget about your prebiotics too! Prebiotics are a plant fiber that beneficially nourishes the good bacteria already in the large bowel or colon. Consider eating prebiotic rich foods like raw chiccory root, jeresulum articokes, garlic and leeks. You can also purchase a supplement.
Drink GREEN and Load Up On Superfoods and Adaptogens:
- Green Juices and Matcha Tea are magical drinks with high levels of antioxidants, detoxifying agents, alkalizing properties, vitamins and minerals.
- Superfoods such as Micro Algea, Chlorella, Spirilina and Liquid Chlorophyll are just a few energy powerhouses to kick-start your day. Toss them in your juices or smoothies for an added boost.
- Adaptogens are a unique group of herbal ingredients used to improve the health of your adrenal system, the system that’s in charge of managing your body’s hormonal response to stress. They help strengthen the body’s response to stress and enhance its ability to cope with anxiety and fight fatigue. Our go-to Adaptogens are Ashwagandha, Maca and Reishi from “Moon Juice Shop”.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult with a doctor on the above mentioned herbs and superfoods.
Cut Back or Eliminate Caffeine
- The ups and downs of caffeine include dehydration and blood sugar swings, causing mood swings and headaches. I know, we love coffee too, but try teas (white, green or matcha tea for the added antioxidant boost).
- Decrease your coffee intake slowly and replace with water, herbal tea, or grab that green juice!
Eat “Good” Sweets
- Avoid processed sugar and chemical artificial sweeteners. They make you sluggish and studies show they increase your calorie intake!
- Use whole, non-processed sweeteners like maple syrup or honey.
- If you can’t shake your sweet tooth, eat a small piece of organic raw dark chocolate. Savor it.
- Eat fruits and sweet vegetables such as beets, yams, and carrots to lessen your cravings for those cookies and packaged candies.
- Begin with simple changes–take the stairs, walk to work or around the block or do yoga. Start with 10 minutes a day and increase from there. Making a daily commitment and sticking to it is key.
- Change your perspective—go upside down—do a handstand against a wall or put your feet up a wall. It’s amazing how that shift can alter your mood and energy level.
Relax, Rest and Get Quality Sleep
- When you are tired or stressed, your body and mind suffer.
- Lack of sleep causes cravings and a depressed willpower to resist temptation.
- Meditate or focus on deep breathing for a few minutes a day. Hard to get started? Check out yogaglo.com for guided 10, 15 or 20 minute mediations (Elena Brower is our go-to). Or download a meditation app on your phone (we love iSleep Easy or Headspace).
Have some ME Time
- Bye-bye kids, partners, friends. Time to schedule a weekly date with YOURSELF! 5 or 10 minutes or an hour or more if you have it. Just commit to you.
- Do what inspires you and creates the space you need to just be YOU. Try yoga, writing, reading, walking, music, a bath, a movie, get a manicure, a massage, a glass of wine or whatever you enjoy. It doesn’t need to be elaborate. It just needs to be a dedicated time for restoring yourself.
Say Goodbye to Toxic Relationships
- People can be energy drainers. It is valuable to notice who leaves you worn and why.
- Can you transform those relationships by changing your mindset, communicating and setting boundaries? Can you limit your interactions or make sure they occur at a time when you can spare your energy? Or do you need to end the relationship altogether?
- Surround yourself with positive, giving and uplifting people whenever possible. No one can be perky and happy all the time. It is important to be able to let go and vent and share emotions. But remember that you choose who you spend your limited free time with. Choose wisely.
Embody Wellness. Embody Change. Embody Your Best Self.
Embody Wellness Company partners with you to EMBODY your healthiest self by creating customizable, holistic wellness and nutrition programs targeted at your life’s most important milestones: marriage, children and career. We get you glowing for your wedding, healthy during your pregnancy and back to your pre-baby body or better. We help you increase your energy, decrease your stress and naturally reach and sustain your ideal body in a nurtured way. We are your wellness and lifestyle concierge. We create a path for your personal journey to EMBODY Wellness.