Here are 5 quick and simple snacks that are perfect for your Beyond Mom schedule from Embody Wellness Company.
Sometimes life feels like GO, GO, GO! We rush around from meeting to appointment to play date and before we know it the hunger hits and it is too late. There are five minutes between your conference call ending and school pickup and the corner bodega sells muffins, peanut m&ms and protein bars at the counter. Before you have time to think about what happened, only a few crumbs are left in the bag and you are 450 calories and 25 grams of sugar in the hole.
Never again. We have 5 quick and simple snacks that are perfect for your on-the-go lifestyle, school lunches and office snacks. Make a few batches when you have time one evening or over the weekend and store them in individual serving containers. We love mason jars, stainless steel containers and beeswax paper!
These snacks are loved by our kids, clients and husbands… and us! They are free from refined sugars, empty calories and processed ingredients. They are packed with protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, omegas and more. Guilt free but flavorful! Try these 5 snacks out and let us know what you think!
1) Our Chocolate Chia Power Bites are a family favorite! Perfect for pre or post workout fueling, taming your sweet tooth or even breakfast on the run, we haven’t met anyone who didn’t want a second bite! These power bites are packed is protein, fiber, omegas, fast and slow burning healthy carbs, and a fudgy chocolatey-ness that will make you think you are being naughty. Keep them in your freezer and pop a few in a snack baggie to keep in your purse for when the hunger strikes.
2) Trail Mix is a fantastic and easy snack. We make a big container full and then scoop ⅓ cup servings into snack bags or mason jars for handy grab and go munching. Our no-fail mix: 1 cup sprouted nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews), 1 cup sprouted seeds (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds), 1 cup dried fruit (goji berries, chopped medjool dates, mulberries, tart cherries), ⅓ cup raw cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips.
3) Spiced, Roasted Chickpeas are so simple to make and provide protein and fiber to keep you feeling full until your next meal. (You can also buy these already made at most supermarkets, health food stores and even delis). Our recipe below is just one option. Once you get the hang of the technique, we encourage you to experiment with flavor combos, like cinnamon + maple sugar + sprinkle sea salt or unsweetened cocoa powder + cayenne + maple sugar.
2 15oz cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained, rinsed and pat dry
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
freshly ground salt and pepper
Put the chickpeas in a bowl and coat in olive oil. Sprinkle spices over chickpeas and toss to coat evenly. Spread the chickpeas out on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet and place in ~400 degree oven (can do 425 as well) for 30-40 minutes until golden and crispy. Shake the sheet halfway through cooking to rotate the chickpeas and get them evenly crisped.
4) Our Anti-Inflammatory Banana Muffins are also a universal hit. Vegan, filled with superfoods and sweetened with fruit, these are a guilt free way to bake your cake and eat it too! We love to make mini muffins and stash a few in the stroller, at our desk and in the fridge for those moments when you just need a little comfort food.
5) Hummus and Nut Butters with Fresh Vegetables and Fruit is a classic. Put a few tablespoons of your favorite dip in the bottom of a mason jar and “plant” veggie sticks and fruit slices into it. Top with the lid, store in the fridge and pass them out as everyone heads out to work or school. Try our hummus recipe below. We love to add a roasted beet, roasted garlic or fresh herbs like basil, parsley or mint to mix it up.
2 cups cooked chickpeas (or use 1 cup chickpeas, 1 cup edamame)
1 tsp salt
1-2 garlic cloves
1/4 Cup tahini or olive oil
freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
2 Tbsp water (or more if needed)
optional: hot sauce, cayenne pepper or chili powder, to taste
optional: parsley, roasted red peppers, roasted beets, peas, get creative!
Olive oil, for drizzling
Put all of the ingredients in your blender and give it a whirl, scraping down the sides to combine. If needed, add more water or EVOO until desired consistency is reached.
Never be unprepared again! When your hunger strikes, reach into your bag or desk and pull out one of our top snack suggestions. Feel satisfied, refueled and good about your decisions!
We hope these tips help you EMBODY Wellness. EMBODY Change. EMBODY Your Best Self!
Embody Wellness Company partners with you to EMBODY your healthiest self by creating customizable, holistic wellness and nutrition programs targeted at your life’s most important milestones: marriage, children and career. We get you glowing for your wedding, healthy during your pregnancy and back to your pre-baby body or better. We help you increase your energy, decrease your stress and naturally reach and sustain your ideal body in a nurtured way. We are your wellness and lifestyle concierge. We create a path for your personal journey to EMBODY Wellness.