It’s time for a New You! We all want to look and feel our best, especially post-childbearing. And you likely made a resolution to do just that: lose weight, get fit, exercise more, detox from the holidays. The majority of resolvers make these exact pledges. But of the almost half of American that make resolutions, only 8% stick to what they resolve throughout the year.
So, here’s a little secret: you don’t need to go to unsustainable extremes to accomplish your goals. You don’t need to dramatically revamp your lifestyle, go on a juice fast or cleanse to detox your body. Here’s another secret: you can detox and still chew food!
These simple steps will help you cleanse your body and EMBODY Wellness in easy ways that you can incorporate into your day, every day. Start with one or two and when they become habits, add on! Your body will respond and start working like it should! You will feel the difference.
As moms, we know life gets crazy and hectic. Spoonfuls of macaroni end up on our floor, in our hair and too often in our mouths! By incorporating these tips into our daily routine we counterbalance the other realities of our life: cocktails with friends, grilled cheese with our kids, pollutants, stress and more. Add in these habits and let your body do the flushing out!
Cleansing and detoxing ensures that your kidneys and liver are functioning properly. If they are not efficiently getting rid of waste, it results in buildup and inflammation in your body, two causes of disease and weight gain. Some other benefits of detoxing your system include glowing skin, improved digestion (less bloat and constipation), weight loss, more energy and better sleep. Sound good? We think so!
NOTE: If you are breastfeeding, focus on #1, 2 and 6 below. You may want to avoid aloe and always ask your doctor before taking any new supplements or starting on any new dietary regime. You can also get your prebiotic and probiotics from food sources. See what works best for you.
Add our 6 tips in to your daily routine and kick-start your body’s cleanse!
1) Drink more water with lemon: Get into the habit of starting your day with a big glass of water with lemon right when you wake up. Lemon is detoxing, alkalizing and revs up your metabolism. Every function in our body runs on water, including elimination and cleansing. Aim to drink half of your body weight in ounces throughout the day. More if you are active or sweating. Water helps with healthy digestion, regularity, detoxification, mental clarity, energy and satiety. Hungry? Dehydration often masks itself as hunger. Try drinking a glass of water before sticking your hand in the chip bag. Tip: If you don’t have a lemon, try keeping a bottle of doTerra’s therapeutic grade lemon oil on hand to sprinkle into your water bottle. We always have it in our bag!
2) Eat More Greens: Kale, broccoli, cabbage, spinach, swiss chard, collards, you name it! Dark, leafy greens are rich in chlorophyll, which purifies the blood and binds to toxins, excreting them from body. Greens are also loaded with antioxidants, fiber and vitamins to keep your skin looking dewy, youthful, and glowing. Try to eat or drink greens at every meal. For boosts, try liquid chlorophyll, chlorella or spirulina (green and blue algae) to your blended drinks!
3) Homemade Detoxing Tonics: Incorporate Aloe Vera, Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV), Ginger or Chia Seeds into your day. For a tonic, simply combine 8oz hot or cold water, a squeeze of lemon and 1 tbsp of any of the above daily. We also toss them into our smoothies or teas. You can also combine some together for an extra supercharge. Get creative. Aloe Vera juice is healing to the digestive tract, hydrating and great for your skin. ACV is extremely cleansing and alkalizing. Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent and Chia is packed with antioxidants, fiber, protein and great for hydration. You can also use these ingredients in dressings or soups!
4) Go with your Gut!: Probiotics are “good” bacteria that help reduce inflammation and prevent infection. Healthy bacteria will keep your entire system in balance so you can detox efficiently. They also increase your immunity! 70% of your immunity resides in your gut, according to Dr. Frank Lipman. We encourage you to incorporate more probiotic rich, fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kombucha, kimchi, greek yogurt or tempeh. Or take a high-quality supplement and feel the changes! Prebiotics are a variety of fibers that stimulate and encourage the growth of healthy and beneficial bacteria (aka gut flora) to grow. Load up on dandelion greens, scallions, onions, leeks, garlic and raw asparagus and jicama.
5) Spice it Up!: Incorporate turmeric and cayenne into your cooking for anti-inflammatory benefits. Try making spiced roasted nuts or veggies or a superfood smoothie or your own spicy lemonade (combine lemon juice, hot or cold water, cayenne or turmeric, grated ginger and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup). Turmeric and cayenne are also great in tonics, dressings and sauces. Get sprinkling!
6) Daily Gratitude and Rest. Especially for moms! Your children’s needs automatically come before your own. Spouses, partners, careers, friends, household, errands… the list of demands on your time and energy goes on! Remember it is critical to be kind, compassionate, and loving towards yourself. Make time for you. Stress increases your levels of insulin and cortisol (infamous for promoting the accumulation of belly fat) and causes chronic inflammation. Find five minutes to take a bath, read a book, whatever you enjoy! A little chill time can go a long way towards cleansing your body and looking fabulous. RELAX and RESET!
For more of our top tips, download our FREE Guide: “10 Simple Swaps To Clean Up Your Diet” on our website: www.embodywellnesscompany.com
EMBODY Wellness. EMBODY Change. EMBODY Your Best Self.
Christine & Stephanie
Embody Wellness Company partners with you to EMBODY your healthiest self by creating customizable, holistic wellness and nutrition programs targeted at your life’s most important milestones: marriage, children and career. We get you glowing for your wedding, healthy during your pregnancy and back to your pre-baby body or better. We help you increase your energy, decrease your stress and naturally reach and sustain your ideal body in a nurtured way. We are your wellness and lifestyle concierge. We create a path for your personal journey to EMBODY Wellness.